Sunday, February 10, 2008

Excuses, Excuses

The closeup you see is one of a bowl I made late last year. Not easily seen is that this bowl is composed of thin strips of glass layed up on edge. I have always liked creating strip pieces and have started a series based upon the "windows" in the bowls.

The new year has brought some changes to my little studio. We've poured a new skim coat of concrete to cover the 100 year old cracked, rough one. Wow! I can actually use a broom on this now. My chief construction engineer (husband) ran some extra electrical outlets, added a fan above my work table, and a new door. This so improves how I work, but it has meant some down time. My hubby has always supported me in my art and it is always appreciated.

I'm one of those people that can work non-stop for weeks, but if I have something that throws me off my "groove" I have trouble getting back to work. That's where I'm at now. I've got some new things made, and have a few things "in my head." Unfortunately, February is tax month for farmers, so I've got that to deal with, plus February is usually when I apply to the few art shows I do. That means applications, taking new pictures of new work to submit, etc. On top of this I committed to a collaboration project again.

This project is a "self-portrait" to be done with fused glass as the main components. Not one to even like having my picture taken, I'm wishing I never said I'd participate, but I really enjoyed the glass quilt collaboration project from last year so here I am again! I've spent time on and off trying to come up with a way to express "who I am" without having to attempt to pencil an actual drawing of myself. I think I've got an idea nailed down, now I'm hoping I can get it out off the paper and into the glass before the fast-approaching March 1st deadline.

I'm running out of excuses.

No comments: